The Awards Season at the University of Birmingham is our opportunity to recognise all of the hard work that students have put in throughout the year. Awards are split across two events at the end of every academic year:
Sports Ball: Run by the VP Sport and the Guild of Students, the Ball brings together sports clubs and sports- and active-based societies and recognises the development and participation aspects of sport.
Sports Awards Evening: The Awards Evening recognises the highest levels of achievement such as Sportsperson and Team of the Year.
Victoria Wesley Award
The Victoria Wesley Award is presented to individuals who have put in outstanding contribution and added value to sport at the University of Birmingham.
• 2012: Student - Steven Johnson (Archery)
• 2011: Student - Chiedu Ufodiama (Athletics); Non-student – Gary Humpage (Swimming)
• 2010: Joan Whitehouse (Fencing)
Student Leadership award
The student leadership award recognises outstanding leadership qualities amongst our student volunteers.
• 2012: Natalie Caughtry
• 2011: Annabel Fitzgerald
• 2010: Pandora Lefory
Volunteer Coach of the Year Award
As one of the valuable contributions to UBSport comes from our Volunteer Coaches, this award recognises the commitment given to provide outstanding coaching services to our talented athletes, allowing them every opportunity to perform at their best.
• 2012: Jasmine Demeester (Cheerleading)
• 2011: Anthony Genna (Rowing)
• 2010: Alex Darby (Rowing)
Coach of the Year
An award to recognise an outstanding performer from within one of more than 100 paid coaches.
• 2012: Louise Barron (Triathlon)
• 2011: Phil Gooderham (Women’s Hockey)
• 2010: Dave Abini (Lacrosse)
Club of the Year
The award is split into the three areas of development, improvement and performance to recognise the variety of ways in which clubs work.
• 2012: Development - Gymnastics & Trampolining; Improvement - Netball; Performance - Athletics & Cross Country
• 2011: Development – Volleyball; Improvement – Cycling; Performance – Swimming
• 2010: American Football
Team of the Year
Specific to teams, this award recognises outstanding performances on the pitch.
• 2012: Road Cycling
• 2011: Women’s Hockey
• 2010: Women’s Hockey
Sports Person of the Year Award:
The big one! Awarded to someone who has played a blinder throughout the season.
• 2012: Nick Cruchley
• 2011: Elle Hopkins
• 2010: Nick Goolab